Thursday, March 25, 2010

SXSW Recap

So yes, technically this is a food blog and the following post will have nothing to do with food (minus the free hotdogs and beer acquired throughout my journey).  There's your warning.

My other passion (and a huge reason I love living in this great town) is music.  During one of our first conversations (I think via myspace...oh yeah, take a walk down memory lane with me), A asked me if I liked ACL.  Trying my best to sound like the man of her dreams I said it was alright (if you can get past the dust, the heat and the sea of people), but SXSW was really more of my thing.  Hundreds of bands playing small venues pretty much nonstop for 4 days straight...what's not to love?  Did I mention free food and booze?

In my younger years (namely, when I worked the noon-8 shift at St. Ed's), I'd grab a wristband and hit all the night shows I could.  Old age being what it is, I stand before you a broken and miserable man (bonus points for naming that slightly modified quote...hint at the end of the blog).  The last couple of years I've ditched the wristband for the free day shows. My sleep cycle and liver have both thanked me for the change.

Without further ado, here's what I saw:

1. Broken Bells - Parking Garage on Red River
A collaboration between Danger Mouse and James Mercer (of The Shins)?  Yes please.  Got in line early for this one only to be rewarded by free hot dogs, free beer and one of the more unique venues I've ever seen a concert.  The sound was great, the crowd was into it and the band...simply amazing.



2. Japandroids - Emos
Unfortunately, the awesomenous of the BB show ran long and I missed the Morning Benders.  But we arrived in time to catch most of Japandroids' set.  Vancouver based duo who throw down a garage-rock kind of sound which seems to be more and more rare in this era of MGMT, Yeasayer, Arcade Fire types (not to say I'm not down with those bands, but its tough to beat a good rock show with nothing but a guitar and drumset).

3. Titus Andronicus - Emos
New Jersey based rock band currently pimping a concept album based on the Civil War.  What can possibly go wrong?  It may have just been an off show (I think they had 10 or 11 at SXSW), but S and I left halfway through their set.  They just didn't seem to be into it, the sound was awful (part of that was on Emos) and at SXSW, there's a plethora of options (not pinatas).

4. The Soft Pack - Max's Wine Dive Underground
A, S and I were a little worried we wouldn't get in based on the line outside of Max's but after 10 minutes or so, they let a bunch head in.  Another interesting space.  Some sort of basement that on better days serves as an art exhibit.  Free cheese and free beer hit the spot while we live tweeted (and took pictures of our own comments...yeah, next come the skinny jeans... I know).  The Soft Pack came on and put on an ok show.  Surfer rockish sound that started well, but tended to start sounding the same song to song.


5. Maps and Atlases - YardDog back alley
Caught them while waiting for the next band to setup.  Very poppy, but a unique sound.  Not sure I could listen to more than a couple songs of theirs before getting a little annoyed but damn did their lead singer have a solid beard.

6. We Were Promised Jetpacks - YardDog back alley
After dubbing them "best band name of SXSW 09" last year, I finally took the time to actually listen to their stuff this year and knew immediately that this was a band I wanted to catch.  Scottish indie-pop-rockish...I'm not good with labels, I just know what sounds good to these 2 ears and they fit the bill.  One of the few bands I saw at SXSW that actually sound just as good live as they do on their album.  Oh, and free beer.

7. Peelander-Z - Trophy's
Last but certainly not least, a band I was dragged halfway across the city last year by MW & S to see at least year's SXSW.  Japanese Comedic Punk is the only way to halfway do it justice.  Walking from YardDog to Trophy's I called A, begging for her to meet me there.  Being a stone's throw from our front door helped urge her on.  They played on the back of a flatbed truck and while not the best musicians in the world, their show is unique and one of the best times I've had.  Songs such as "So Many Mikes", "Mad Tiger", "Ninja High-School", human bowling, giant squid suits....just wow.  To finish it off, they all climbed up a tree and scaled to the top of Trophy's, equipment and all to play their last song.  Like I thanked MW&S last year, A thanked me and we ended our day with Magnolia Cafe to process what we'd just witnessed.

As always, an amazing week in Austin.  And for those expecting a food blog, you won't be disappointed with the next entry.  Next up, the Great Central Texas BBQ Tour complete with documentation using an actual camera (our latest purchase for my food documentation endeavors).  Engage salivation...NOW.

bonus points if you answered the quote correctly: Celebrity Jeopardy

No comments:

Post a Comment