Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Muck & Daves - New BBQ Trailer on South Congress

Vegas has stolen my wife for a few days and to make things a little more interesting, we've put our condo on the market so we're having random strangers walk through our place during the week.  To avoid our potential buyers being scared off by our intimidating dog, I've been coming home just before a showing to grab Mads and get her out of the house.  Having to do this the past 3 days I've decided to take advantage and hit up a few of the local trailers I've yet to enjoy.

Last week driving into work, I noticed a new smell as I passed the South Congress trailer park.  The sweet sweet smell of bbq...at 8am.  Could it be a new Franklins expansion trailer within coronary distance?  Alas, it was not....instead, its a place called Muck & Daves.

The menu is pretty standard bbq fare: brisket, sausage, ribs and chopped beef sammiches.  I went with the two meat plate of brisket and sausage (my standard measuring stick for bbq) with a side of slaw and potato chips.  The woman working was on her 2nd day but was extremely nice and warned that they were still working out the kinks.  

To be fair, they've only been open less than a week so there were kinks to work out.  This is especially difficult with meat you have to smoke overnight and then maintain the quality throughout the day.  The brisket was really dried out but there was a pretty good rub used so there was potential for something flavorful.  The sausage was extremely good, but it was Elgin sausage and not a homemade product.  Hard to knock too many points there, but they have the unfortunate position of being compared to Franklins.

BBQ purists will say that sauce is an afterthought and the meat should stand on its own merit.  While I typically agree, a good sauce can make average cue slightly above average.  Their sauce is a second cousin of The Salt Lick.  Very different than most with a definite sweetness to it.  If you took their sauce and put it on the table at Franklins......sorry.....my stomach is doing a happy dance.


I do award them +10 internet points for the sign on their fridge:

1 comment:

  1. Just looking at that brisket, and comparing it in my mind to Franklin's, makes me feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete