Sunday, March 7, 2010

Snack Bar

A, J, E and I went out Friday night trying to find a new locale on South Congress to try for dinner.  We'd seen Snack Bar but heard few things about it positive or negative.  We decided to give it a shot.  The location is the old Sol y La Luna restaurant adjacent to Austin Motel.  They'd done a good job renovating and the projector showing Tom and Jerry cartoons was a nice/odd touch.

They have a brunch/lunch menu with entrees, but the dinner menu is more of a "shared appetizer" type fare.  The beverage selection was pretty solid:
 

Between the four of us, we knocked out a good portion of the menu:
Chile Rellenos - sweet peppers instead of the typical spicy poblano.  The sweet peppers were an interesting twist but quite frankly, the thick batter and lack of flavor really didn't do much for me.


Tres Sopas - We got one of each type, Picadillo, Mango Shrimp and Black Bean.  All three were pretty good.  The beef had a nice peppery spice, the mango worked well with the shrimp and the beans...well, A ate that one but I didn't hear complaints.


Spring Rolls - I'm not the best judge b/c spring rolls just aren't my thing.  But the general consensus was too much rice filling and not enough veggies.


Mac and Cheese - Find me one person who isn't a fan of Mac and Cheese and I'll show you a communist.  Problem here was that the m&c didn't seem like much more than the boxed stuff you get at the store.  A little parsley sprinkled on top does not gourmet make.



I've yet to throw out a negative review in my blog infancy, but this place was just subpar, especially given how much the dinner cost.  Save your time and walk over to South Congress Cafe.

4 comments:

  1. Ever see that Simpsons were Homer becomes a food reviewer but he gives every restaurant a rave review and the whole city becomes fat, so he starts giving really mean reviews and all the chefs try to kill him by feeding him a deadly eclair overstuffed with butter?

    Be Homer, G. Be Homer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like eclairs...I like butter. I fail to see the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I went there it was with high hopes. I got the veggie burger. After about 40 minutes of waiting (with a couple of apologies from the waitress) we got our food. My burger was so hard (read: overcooked) I could tap it with my fork, and it sounded like I was hitting the plate. Seriously. I sent it back and got the shrimp tacos instead, which were AWESOME.

    Second time we went there, we got there around 3:50pm. They stop serving at 4 (which we didn't know), so they rushed us to figure out what we wanted bc they said the kitchen wouldn't make it if they put it in after 4. WHAT?! really? We should have just left. It was really NOT relaxing. We got our food and it was fine, but the atmosphere was killed by trying to rush thru.

    Not my fav place...which stinks bc the patio is awesome.

    And btw, I don't like mac 'n cheese. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the mac 'n cheese at Jack Allen's Kitchen. DIVINE! You might have to try it next time.

    After reading your post, glad we went to South Congress Cafe on Friday!

    ReplyDelete