Monday, November 16, 2009

@Home: Seared Ahi Tuna

A and I have been catching up on Madmen the past few weeks (we missed the boat when it first came out). Through most of season 2 I've learned that to properly hook your client, come out firing with your best idea first. Ok, perhaps I'm making that up and I'm really just wanting a fully stocked liquor cabinet in my office for Mondays like this. At any rate, here's one of my favorite dishes I've put together. (Fair warning, pictures are a result of iphone camera and my jimmy hands...proper photo documentation in future postings will be done by the professional in the family)

.5 lb yellow-fin tuna
white/black sesame seeds
salad greens

red bell pepper
wonton sheets
asian ginger vinaigrette
edamame as a side
6 pack Breckenridge SummerBright to get me through the evening



Prepared the wontons first. Not necessary, but adds a nice texture to the rest of the salad. Cut up into strips




Threw them into some hot olive oil for roughly 30-40 seconds (till they puff up and turn brown)




result = crunchy goodness



Tuna + Sesame seed mix



Cooked on high heat using some olive oil. 90 seconds on one side, 60 on the other.



Sliced to perfection



And the final product with some tossed salad greens and julienned red bell peppers



Came out fan-friggin-tastic. Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd change a thing. After I took it off the pan, I placed the tuna in the freezer for 10 minutes or so while I prepared everything else. This firmed it up a bit to make slicing easier. A and I were both extremely pleased with the result and this will definitely be in the dinner rotation in the near future.

8 comments:

  1. Yay! You have a blog! Now I can pester you to blog too! (And, yes, please let me take the pictures next time.) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. When are you going to make the seared ahi tuna again???

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa! that looks amazing! i didnt know you cooked :)
    what else ya got?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I'm looking forward to lots of great blog posts, fully documented by your talented wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wondering if maybe those "wanton sheets" are something A uses in her boudoir photography sessions. :)

    The recipe looks wonderful, though, so keep up the good eating and the good blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. damnation! apparently my spellcheck is not chinese food friendly. btw, cooked this again last night and I might lean more towards 60 seconds and 30 seconds per side. Tried it with a Wasabi vinaigrette that was even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- I'm going to put you to work when you come home for Thanksgiving- looks awesome!

    And, I am very excited to have a 7th blog to add to my Google Reader- yea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just showed the ahi tuna pix to Pat. He commented that you had cooked it just right. See, the chefs are beginning to take notice of your expertise!

    ReplyDelete