Friday, November 20, 2009

Buenos Aires Cafe

After hearing several rave reviews I figured my first restaurant review might as well be somewhere with a reputation.  A and I took the 2 minute drive over to South 1st and parked next to a non-descript building flanked by a pawn shop and the infamous G&S Lounge.  Not exactly where you'd expect fine dining.

Upon entering you find a small dining room with no more than 10 or 11 tables.  (I promise the next round will have ACTUAL photos and not iphone renderings)



We were seated in the corner and after listening to the daily specials decided we'd be dining off menu.  Adrienne had the Mahi-Mahi with a white wine reduction sauce, capers, shrimp, asparagus and mashed potatoes. 



The sauce really made the dish for me (of the couple bites I had).  I'm not a huge fish person, but it was cooked to perfection.

The gentleman sitting next to us sung the praises of the beef tenderloin going so far as to say "it is the greatest cut of meat I've ever had".  This intrigued my inner carnivore so I ordered the tenderloin, medium rare with green beans, yukon mashed potatoes and a couple of gulf shrimp.

                                     

After you're done admiring those chiseled man-boobs you'll notice that the presentation was outstanding.  The green and orange coloring in conjunction with the tomatoes on the green beans made this dish really stand out.  And that was before taking a bite.  The beef cutlet was on the small side, but the flavor was solid.  Juicy inside with an herb paste on top and cooked a perfect medium rare.  The mashed potatoes and green beans were well cooked as were the shrimp.

The special prices were a little high, but overall we left very impressed and eager to head back.  They've recently opened a second location on East 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment